Ahh, January. A time of wind, freezing rain, a bit of snow, and dead Christmas trees littering the pavement. But who says it’s can’t be a cheerful time? Grant Carnegie, our fearless leader, tried this recipe from our friends at the Castleton Farm Shop up in Aberdeenshire. It is divine – comfort food at its best. Give it a whirl yourself and send us pictures of the result!
1Kg Pork Belly
1pt apple Juice
3 x teaspoon Cinnamon
4oz dark brown sugar
1 x bottle Scotch Whisky Sauce
- Place bellies in roasting tin in a puddle of apple juice.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover and put in oven at 160C for about 2 hours.
- Take out and cool.
- Remove skin (this can be used to make crackling).
- Cut with the grain of the pork as finely as possible and pull apart into shreds with a knife and fork.
- Place in fresh roasting tin and add 3-5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and a bottle of the Whisky Sauce Company Whisky Sauce.
- Cover and place back in oven at 170C for about 45 minutes until piping hot.
- Serve with warm ciabatta or baguette.
Check back with us next week for some great dinner ideas for Burns Night. Haste ye back!